Recorded October 16, 2005
Introduction: This broadcast sets forth elements of a network that Mr. Emory believes to be a Bormann/Underground Reich network. This network was part of the apparatus involved in the execution of the 9/11 attacks.
Beginning with review of the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft and its role in bringing 9/11 hijack ringleader Mohamed Atta to Germany, the program traces the evidentiary tributaries running out of that organization. In addition to a fellowship operated on behalf of the Russian Alfa conglomerate, the CDG network also encompasses the Robert Bosch Foundation Fellowship.
The Alfa firm, in turn, has profound links to criminal syndicates in Asia, Russia and Latin America, as well as elements that participated in activities overlapping both the Iran-Contra and Iraqgate affairs. One of the central elements in this network is the royal family of Liechtenstein, a tiny European country that is an epicenter for money laundering.
In addition to participating in a front company that was part of the Al Taqwa constellation that funded Bin Laden, the Liechtenstein royal family (in 2001) assumed the powers of absolute monarchy, just in time to interdict any legal investigations that might have gone in the direction of 9/11. The head of the political party that fronted for Prince Hans Adam’s assumption of absolute power is a powerful lawyer who works for an Alfa subsidiary!
The dovetailing of powerful German capital interests apparently linked to the Bormann milieu with Russian oligarchic and criminal elements appears to be an outgrowth of traditional German “Ostpolitik.” For more about Ostpolitik, be sure to access Germany Plots with the Kremlin by T. H. Tetens , available for free downloading at: Spitfirelist.com/Books .
Program Highlights Include: The German industrial figures on the board of directors of the CDS; a history of the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft and its American subsidiary, the CDS; the Alfa Group’s links to Cheney’s Halliburton Oil company; the Alfa Group’s links to Iraqgate arms trafficking; the Alfa Group’s links to the oil-for-food scandal in Iraq; Alfa’s links to the Cali cocaine cartel of Colombia; Alfa’s links to heroin trafficking; Attorney Norbert Seeger’s role with Alfa subsidiary Crown Resources; Norbert Seeger’s role as head of the Progressive Citizens Party in Liechtenstein; links between Liechtenstein and the milieu of the CDU funding scandal; Atta’s father’s friendship with the German couple that sponsored Atta’s entry into Germany under the auspices of the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft; review of John P. Schmitz’s links to many of the entities and personalities discussed in the program.
1. We begin with a review of the relationship between 9/11 hijack ringleader Mohamed Atta and the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft, a joint U.S. German fellowship program that sponsored Atta’s entry to, and stay in, Germany. (For more about Atta and the CDS, see—among other programs—FTR#’s 477 , 523 .)
“For at least four years while living in Hamburg during the 1990’s, terrorist ringleader Mohamed Atta was part of a ‘joint venture’ between the U.S. and German governments, the MadCowMorningNews has learned, an elite international ‘exchange’ program run by a little-known private organization with close ties to powerful American political figures like David Rockefeller and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.”
(“Mohamed Atta Worked for Elite U.S.—German Government Exchange Program” by Daniel Hopsicker; MadCowMorningNews; 4/24/2003.) 
2. “The jointly-funded government effort picked up the tab for Atta on sojourns in Cairo, Istanbul, and Aleppo in Syria during the years 1994 and 1995, as well as employing him as a ‘tutor’ and ‘seminar participant’ during 1996 and 1997. Moreover, Atta’s financial relationship with the U.S.—German government effort may even extended back to his initial move from Egypt to Germany in 1992, after being ‘recruited’ in Cairo by a mysterious German couple dubbed the ‘hijacker’s sponsors’ in a recent news account in the Chicago Tribune.”
3. “Mohamed Atta, before becoming a ‘terrorist ringleader,’ enjoyed the patronage of a government initiative known as the ‘Congress-Bundestag Program,’ overseen by the U.S. State Department and the German Ministry of Economic Development, the German equivalent of the U.S. Agency for International Development busy currently supervising the secretive bidding race for tens of billions of dollars of post-war reconstruction contracts in Iraq.”
4. “News that Mohamed Atta had been on the payroll of the elite international program surfaced in a curious way just a month after the 9/11 attack a brief seven-line report by German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung on Oct. 18, 2001, under the headline ‘Atta Was Tutor for Scholarship Holders.’ The story quoted spokesmen for ‘Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft,’ described as a ‘German international further education organization,’ as having admitted paying Hamburg cadre principal Atta as a ‘scholarship holder’ and ‘tutor,’ between 1995 and 1997.”
5. “But what makes the story curious is that the German paper concealed the shocking implications of their story, that Mohamed Atta had been on the payroll of a joint U.S.—German government program, through the simple expedient of neglecting to mention that the ‘Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft’ was merely a private entity set up to administer the ‘exchange’ initiative of the two governments.”
6. The U.S. end of the program is run out of an address at United Nations Plaza in New York by CDS International. The letters stand for Carl Duisberg Society, also the name of its German counterpart in Cologne, the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft. Both are named for Carl Duisberg, a German chemist and industrialist who headed the Bayer Corporation during the 1920’s . . . .”
7. “. . . Kissinger, to cite just one example, had at one time addressed over 100 international business leaders at an anniversary dinner organized and celebrating CDS International held at the River Club of New York June 2, 1987. Kissinger congratulated CDS International on its 20 years of service in keeping close business ties, not only between Germany and the United States, but more recently through career development programs for participants from other countries as well. Five years later, Mohamed Atta became one of these participants from ‘other’ countries. . . .”
8. “CDS International, states the organization’s literature, provides opportunities for young German engineers. Mohamed Atta wasn’t, strictly speaking, a ‘young German engineer,’ but apparently Kissinger’s praise for ‘career development programs for participants from other countries as well’ had been taken to heart by the friendly folks at the Carl Duisberg Society. ‘These young German engineers earn real world experience and are given assignments to contribute from the start,’ a program spokesman enthused in a newspaper interview. The organization is today understandably shy about mentioning that their most famous recent graduate’s ‘real world experience’ included murdering almost 3000 people in New York City in slightly less than two hours.”
9. “A financial relationship between the terrorist ringleader and the U.S. and German Governments has not previously even been hinted at in America’s major media. The conspiracy-minded might conclude that the fact that the scoop is going to the MadCowMorningNews may owe something to the program’s raft of politically-powerful boosters. Having big juice in high places may also explain more equally-curious omissions in a second story about Mohamed Atta’s time in Germany, which appeared recently in the March 7, 2003 Chicago Tribune, under the headline ‘9/11 haunts hijacker’s sponsors; German couple talks of living with pilot Atta.’”
10. It is interesting, and probably significant that the mysterious German couple who brought Atta into Germany under the auspices of the CDS came to meet him through their friend, Mohamed’s father. In FTR#523 , we examined the senior Atta’s apparent supervision of the hijackers in Florida. He was apparently the leader of the group, a fact covered up by the FBI. In FTR#519 , we looked at the senior Atta’s endorsement of the London subway attacks.
“The article describes the 1992 meeting in Cairo between Atta and a German couple running an ‘international student exchange program,’ a meeting which the Tribune says led Atta to move to Hamburg. During a visit to the Egyptian capital in fall 1991, the Tribune reported, the German couple had stayed with friends who knew Atta’s father, a Cairo lawyer, and his father’s friends had then introduced the German couple to Atta. [Emphasis added.] ‘Atta, who had recently graduated with a degree in architectural engineering from the University of Cairo, told the couple he wanted to study architecture in Germany, but he had no particular idea where he should go,’ the paper reported.”
11. Notice the strange circumstances under which the faceless German couple came to sponsor Atta. Does this make sense?
“Though the article neglects to mention it, the reason Atta found himself with ‘no particular idea where he should go’ was because although he had studied engineering at prestigious Cairo University, he had not fared well enough to gain admission to its graduate school. The paper quotes the German wife telling investigators: ‘In this first conversation, we suggested he continue his studies in Hamburg and offered him a place to live at our house.’ Atta, she states, accepted their offer right away. This magnanimous gesture by the German couple to an undistinguished young man they have just met raises serious questions. Perhaps their gesture is just the very milk of human kindness; perhaps it is something else.”
12. Notice that the identity of the German couple who sponsored Atta was kept secret by the Chicago Tribune. WHY?!
“Why did this German couple running an international exchange program leap at the opportunity to help a young man not considered promising enough to gain entrance to graduate school in Cairo, and offer him a place to live at their house. The Tribune doesn’t say. And they have made it difficult for anyone lese to follow up on their story, because they neglected to identify either the couple or the ‘international’ program they ran by name. But although Tribune correspondent Stevenson Swanson cites the German couple for ‘having played such an important role in Atta’s move to Germany,’ he never gives either their names nor that of the organization they worked for.”
13. “This is some curious, if you know what we mean. After all, the story is 1200 words in length. So it’s not as if they didn’t have room to print the names, is it? ‘Jane and John Doe from Help-A-Student International’ would have been enough. You know: Who, What, When, Where, and Why. So, either The Tribune just forgot the ‘Who,’ or something even weirder happened.”
14. “After studying German in Cairo, Atta arrived in Germany on July 24, 1992, according to investigators’ records, and then lived rent-free for at least the next six months in the couple’s home in a quiet, middle-class neighborhood. And since just two years later Atta was on the payroll of the ‘Congress-Bundestag Program,’ it is reasonable to conclude–and no thanks to The Chicago Tribune–that it was also the ‘exchange program’ responsible for bringing him to Germany in the first place. . . CDS International’s elite sponsors are apparently influential enough to have kept their organization’s name out of the newspapers. Or at any rate out of The Chicago Tribune.”
15. Next, Mr. Emory pontificates about evidentiary tributaries running between a number of elements, which—taken together—appear to form parts of a network that involves elements of German heavy industry and finance, massive drug trafficking, arms trafficking and Russian criminal elements. The focal point of this part of the discussion is the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft, the organization that trafficked Atta around in Germany and possibly the United States. As noted in FTR#477 , Atta was associated with Germans, Swiss and Austrians in Florida. As noted in—among other programs—FTR#492 , the German BKA (the federal police of that country) and/or Atta paramour Amanda Keller identified many of Atta’s associates as sons and daughters of prominent German industrialists. In the past, Mr. Emory has speculated about whether the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft might be an element of the Underground Reich. In FTR#305 , we examined the Bormann group’s control of German industry, and in FTR#155 , we noted that the children of key Bormann group members follow in their parents’ footsteps. Are we looking at a Bormann/Underground Reich network here? One that oversaw the hijackers’ activities?
“ . . . ‘In the 1920’s, Carl Duisberg, General Director of Bayer AG in Germany, envisioned sending German students to the United States on work-study programs. Duisberg was convinced that international practical training was critical to the growth of German industry. Many of the returning trainees later rose to prominent positions at AEG, Bayer, Bosch, Daimler Benz, and Siemens, bringing with them new methods for mass production, new ideas, and new business practices. Following World War II, alumni from the first exchanges founded the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft (CDG) in 1949 to help engineers, businessmen and farmers gain international work experience necessary for the rebuilding of Germany . . . .”
(“History of the Carl Duisberg Society”.)
16. Note the prominent German industrialists on the board of directors of the Duisberg Society, and do not forget the Bormann group’s stewardship of German industry in this context.
“Board of Directors Carl Duisberg Society: . . . Gerd D. Mueller (retired) [member of Bundestag on CSU ticket) Chairman of the Board; Executive Vice President and CFO Bayer Corporation . . . . Dr. Hans W. Decker; Treasurer of the Board; Professor—Columbia University . . . Robert Fenstermacher; Executive Director of CDS International, Inc. (ex officio) . . . Carl Geercken; Partner Alston & Bird LLP . . . Dr. Olaf J. Groth; Executive Director, Strategic Analysis & Integration—Boeing International Corporation . . . Dr. H. Friedrich Holzapfel; Managing Director—The Burlington Group . . . Dr. Gudrun Kochendoerfer-Lucius; Managing Director—InWEnt (Capacity Building International, Germany) . . . Fritz E. Kropatscheck; Manging Director—Deutsche Bank, A.G. (retired) . . . Wolfgang Linz (retired) Executive Director CDS International, Inc. . . . Dr. Karl M. Mayer-Wittmann (retired); President—WEFA, Inc. . . . Frances McCaffrey; Manager, Center Development—BMW of North America . . . Dr. Horst K. Saalbach Vice Chairman of the Board–Festo Corporation . . . Dr. Norbert Schneider; Chief Executive Officer—Carl Duisberg Centren GmbH . . . .”
(“Board of Directors: Carl Duisberg Society”)
17. Another of the fellowship programs that operates under the auspices of the CDS is the Alfa Fellowship, that functions on behalf of the Alfa Group, a Russian conglomerate with more links than a switchboard. Among the connections of the Alfa group are profound links to cocaine and heroin trafficking, Halliburton Oil (Dick Cheney’s former firm), and the oil-for-food scam in Iraq. The Iraqi oil scam, in turn, appears to be linked to Carlos Cardoen, one of the principal arms traffickers involved in the Iraqgate scandal presided over by the elder George Bush. (For more about the elder George Bush’s involvement in the Iraqgate scandal, see—among other programs—FTR#384.) Is this Russian part of the network connected to the network that was trafficking Atta around in Florida?
“ALFA FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM: Nearly fifteen years after the fall of the Soviet Union, Cold War-era policies and concepts continue to affect U.S. relations with Russia. . . . The Alfa Fellowship Program is designed to address this problem . . . .”
(“ALFA FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM”; Page on the Carl Duisberg Society web site.)
18. Dick Cheney’s former firm—Halliburton—is connected to the Alfa company.
“Under the guidance of Richard Cheney, a get-the-government-out-of-my-face conservative, Halliburton Company over the past five years has emerged as a corporate welfare hog, benefiting from at least $3.8 billion in federal contracts and taxpayer-insured loans. One of these loans was approved in April by the U.S. Export-Import Bank. It guaranteed $489 million in credits to a Russian oil company whose roots are imbedded in a legacy of KGB and Communist Party corruption, as well as drug trafficking and organized crime funds, according to Russian and U.S. sources and documents.”
(“Cheney Led Halliburton to Feast at Federal Trough: State Department Questioned Deal with Firm Linked to Russian Mob” by Knut Royce and Nathaniel Heller [Center for Public Integrity]; 8/2/2000.) 
19. “Those claims are hotly disputed by the Russian oil firm’s holding company. Halliburton, which lobbied for the Ex-Im loan after the State Department initially asserted that the deal would run counter to the ‘national interest,’ will receive $292 million of those funds to refurbish a massive Siberian oil field owned by the Russian company, the Tyumen Oil Co., which is controlled by a conglomerate called the Alfa Group. . . .”
20. Note that a Russian intelligence officer identifies Chechens as behind the Alfa Group-connected heroin traffic. Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood are strongly connected to the groups active in Chechnya. Again, is this operation connected to Atta’s activities in Florida?
“ . . . That document and the FSB report claim that Alfa Bank, one of Russia’s largest and most profitable, as well as Alfa Eko, a trading company, had been deeply involved in the early 1990’s in laundering of Russian and Colombian drug money and in trafficking drugs from the Far East to Europe. The former KGB major, who with the fall of communism in the late 1980’s had himself been involved in the plan by the KGB and Communist Party to loot state enterprises, said that Alfa Bank was founded with party and KGB funds, and quickly attracted rogue agents who had served in anti-organized-crime units. ‘They (the rogue agents on the bank’s payroll) quickly determined that dealing in drugs would bring the highest profits with literally no risk in Russia,’ according to the former KGB officer. He claimed that a ‘large channel of heroin transit was established from Burma through Laos, Vietnam, to the Far East [Siberia].’ From there the drugs were camouflaged as flour and sugar shipments and forwarded on to Germany. The drug operation was controlled by a Chechen mob family, he said. [Italics are Mr. Emory’s] . . .”
21. The Cali cartel—connected to the Iran-Contra drug trafficking networks that were linked to Atta’s operations in Florida—is linked to the Alfa Group’s criminal activities.
“ . . . The FSB document claims that at the end of 1993, a top Alfa official met with Gilberto Rodriguez Orejuela, the now-imprisoned financial mastermind of Columbia’s notorious Cali cartel, ‘to include an agreement about the transfer of money into Alfa Bank from offshore zones such as the Bahamas, Gibraltar and others, The plan was to insert it back into the Russian economy through the purchase of stock in Russian companies.’ The account from the former KGB officer is unclear about Alfa’s alleged role with Rodriguez, but apparently confirms that ‘in 1993-94 there were attempts of the so-called Chess Player [Rodriguez’s nickname] to launder and legalize large amounts of criminal money in Russia. He reported that there was evidence ‘regarding [Alfa Bank’s] involvement with the money laundering of . . . Latin American drug cartels.’ . . .”
22. The program highlights links between Alfa and people linked to the leadership of the Republican Party:
“ . . . Tyumen could have significant access to the White House should the Bush-Cheney ticket win in the November presidential elections. Tyumen’s lead attorney at Akin Gump is James C. Langdon Jr., a managing partner at the firm. He is also one of George W. Bush’s ‘Pioneers,’ one of the elite fund raisers who have brought in at least $100,0000 for the Republican presidential hopeful. . . .”
23. The discussion concludes with the links of Alfa Group to the Iraqi oil-for-food scam and the Iraqgate weapons trafficking of the 1980’s.
“ . . . One outfit that participated in the Iraqi oil trade is the Alfa Group, a Moscow firm with holdings in banking, telecom, oil and commodities trading, run by billionaire Mikhail Fridman. Alfa quite legally pumped the price of its cheap Iraqi crude by trading it to a succession of affiliates and friends with questionable pasts. [including Alfa subsidiary Crown Trade & Finance] The daisy chain, known internally as a ‘rondo,’ boosted Alfa’s proceeds and also made the money harder to trace. Alfa deposited funds in a Gibraltar tax haven. . . .”
(“The Saddam Shuffle” by Michael Maiello; Forbes; 11/15/2004.)
24. “ . . . A favorite rondo customer—and a point of entry to the U.S. market—was a Houston company, Bayoil. It participated in 32 Iraqi oil trades with Alfa companies between August 1999 and December 2000. Bayoil also bought directly from Saddam. Saddam had been dealing with Bayoil owner David Bay Chalmers Jr. before. During the 1980’s Iran-Iraq war Bayoil apparently got a fee of $2 a barrel for brokering 20 million barrels of Iraqi oil to the Chilean arms dealer Carlos Cardoen. . . .”
25. Crown Resources and other Crown entities are part of the Alfa Group, one of whose outgrowths is the CDS subsidiary program the Alfa Fellowship. One of the questions Mr. Emory raises in this program concerns the post-Soviet Russian oligarchy and organized milieu. In this program, we are seeing elements of intersection between the Russian criminal-oligarchical networks and German capital networks that appear to be linked to the Underground Reich. This raises some interesting questions. The Soviet Union was the economic basket case of the world. How did some of these Russian elements obtain the sort of global power and influence that they have? They had to have help, the advantages of looting state monopolies notwithstanding. More about this below, in connection with Alfa’s Crown subsidiary.
“ A deal to sell the Swiss-based commodities operation of former U.S. fugitive financier Marc Rich to Russia-owned energy trading group Crown Resources is off. . . . Crown is owned by the Alfa Group conglomerate. . . . .”
26. One of the principal figures in the Crown/Alfa network is Dr. Norbert Seeger, about whom we will more below.
“ . . . 30. Dr. Norbert Seeger; Rechtanswalt, Vaduz [Liechtenstein]—Information includes: Knowledge of facts pertaining to role of Crown Finance Foundation and other Crown entities in money laundering and tax evasion activities. . . .” (From the legal documents in a lawsuit—“Rule 26 Initial Disclosures; UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT; SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK; NOREX PETROLEUM LIMITED No. 02 Civ. 1499 (LTS)(KNF); Plaintiff v. ACCESS INDUSTRIES, INC.; Et. Al. Defendants; PLAINTIFF’S RULE 26(a)(1) INITIAL DISCLOSURES; 1. INDIVIDUALS LIKELY TO HAVE DISCOVERABLE INFORMATION THAT MAY BE USED TO SUPPORT NOREX’S CLAIMS . . . . A. Individuals Associated With Plaintiff”; p. 8.)
27. A critical element of discussion here concerns the tiny principality of Liechtenstein—a small European country of 32,000 people, whose principal industry is money laundering. As we will see, Liechtenstein figures significantly in the events in and around 9/11. In 2001, Prince Hans Adam became (for all intents and purposes) the only absolute monarch in Europe. This gambit was accomplished through a popular referendum, effected under the auspices of a front group—the Progressive Citizens Party. The referendum ceded to the Prince virtually all real power. In particular, he had the ability to completely control the judicial system, thereby controlling all legal investigations in the country—a particularly interesting and important power in the very important year of 2001! This assumption of absolute power put Hans Adam in the position of being able to block or neutralize any legal investigation into any of the financial shenanigans that transpired in Liechtenstein, including 9/11-related activities! As will be seen below, the main business in this tiny country is money laundering.
“ . . . In a referendum in March 23, 64% of voters in Liechtenstein approved a measure to give Prince Hans Adam II the power to dismiss governments, approve judicial nominees and veto laws. It is the most power of any monarch in Europe. Hans Adam had threatened to leave the country if the measure was not approved. . . The Prince’s involvement in legislation consists in a right to take initiatives in the form of government bills and in the right to veto parliamentary proposals. The Prince has the power to enact princely decrees. Emergency princely decrees are possible when the security and welfare of the country is at stake. A countersignature by the head of government is, nevertheless required. The Prince has the right to convene and adjourn parliament and, for serious reasons, to adjourn it for 3 months or to dissolve it. On the basis of the names put forward by Parliament, the Prince nominates the government district and high court judges, the judges of the Supreme Court, and the presidents and their deputies of the Constitutional Court and of the Administrative Court of Appeal. The Prince’s other authorities include exercising the right to mitigate and commute punishments that have been imposed with legal force and the abolition–i.e., the dismissal—of investigations that have been initiated. All judgments are issued in the name of the Prince. . . .”
28. The head of Liechtenstein’s Progressive Citizens Party is Norbert Seeger—a principal figure in Alfa’s Crown Resources subsidiary!!
“ . . . Since 2001, it has been the Progressive Citizens Party that has provided all the members of the government. The minority parties, as opposition parties, act as a check on the government in Parliament and on parliamentary commissions. . . .”
29. “ . . . Political parties and leaders: Progressive Citizens’ Party of FBPL. [Norbert Seeger]; . . .” (Idem.)
30. Next, the broadcast reviews information from FTR#442 . One of the most important connections illustrated in this program is the evidentiary tributary connecting the Bank Al Taqwa and the royal family of Liechtenstein. Recall that Bank Al Taqwa is a principal financial source for Al Qaeda and other Muslim Brotherhood offshoots. (For more about Bank Al Taqwa, see—among other programs, FTR#’s 343 , 456 , 513 .) One should not forget that Al Taqwa itself originates from a firm established in Vaduz, Liechtenstein—that nation’s capital. Liechtenstein is one of the principal “funny money” centers of Europe, and a major pivot point for the Bormann organization. This information should be evaluated against the background of the information presented in FTR#’s 352 , 357 , 359 , 377 , 378 . Those broadcasts highlight the intersection between the Al Taqwa milieu and European far-right interests, including the P-2 and Alleanza Nationale milieu in Italy. These links with powerful European capital interests and far-right networks indicate that there is much more going on here than just Islamic fundamentalism. In light of the links between Liechtenstein, Crown/Alpha (Norbert Seeger) and the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft, the Asat Trust/Liechtenstein royal family connection assumes potentially larger significance. Do the various tendrils of the creature portrayed in this program description constitute a Bormann/Underground Reich network deeply involved in 9/11?!
“ . . . The prosecution also alleged that [alleged Al Qaeda financier Soliman] Biheiri is linked to a secretive financial network in Switzerland and Liechtensstein called Al Taqwa, which American and European investigators say is a financial backer of the Muslim Brotherhood. The Brotherhood, often depicted as the ideological parent of most radical Islamic groups, recently has come under government scrutiny for its possible direct role in supporting terrorism, most prominently because of Al Taqwa.”
(“Terror Fund Trail Leads to Alpine Kingdom” by Marc Perelman; Forward; 10/17/2003.) 
31. “The Bush administration and the United Nations have designated the Al Taqwa network and its main officials—two self-avowed Muslim Brothers and an admitted Nazi sympathizer—as supporters of Al Qaeda. As a result, their assets have been frozen and they are the focus of a Swiss investigation. The Al Taqwa officials have repeatedly rejected the charges. At the [alleged Al Qaeda financier Soliman] Biheiri detention hearing last month, prosecutor Steven Ward described Biheiri as the Muslim Brotherhood’s ‘financial toehold in the U.S.’”
32. “The prosecution said it had established links between [alleged Al Qaeda financier Soliman] Biheiri and the two principals of Al Taqwa, Youssef Nada and Ghaleb Himmat. According to testimony from special agent Kane of the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the addresses of Nada and Himmat were found in Biheiri’s laptop computer. Kane told the court that there were ‘other indications’ of connections between Al Taqwa and Biheiri’s company BMI, including financial transactions. . . .”
33. “. . . One company in the Al Taqwa galaxy that was designated by the United States and the U.N. as a terrorist-related entity is a Liechtenstein entity called Asat Trust. Its director Martin Wachter, told the Forward this year that Asat Trust operates merely as a registry for businesses and is not involved in the operation of any company. He added that the American government had wrongfully designated Asat Trust as a terrorist-related entity because it had once represented Al Taqwa in a small real estate deal in Switzerland.”
(Ibid.; pp. 2-3.)
34. “Still, copies of business registration documents on file with authorities in Liechtenstein show that Asat Trust has been intimately involved with the Al Taqwa network during the last 30 years, registering changes in company names, personnel and financial structure, which may explain why Asat Trust landed on the American and U.N. terrorist lists.”
(Ibid.; p. 3.)
35. The information about the Al Taqwa links with the royal family of Liechtenstein is set forth as follows:
“The records also shed light on the involvement of one member of the royal family of Liechtenstein in Asat Trust. According to the documents, deceased Prince Emanuel von und zu Liechtenstein became a board member of Asat Trust in May 1970 and stayed until November 1990, when he was replaced by Wachter, the trust’s current director. Florian Krenkel, a spokesman for the royal family, said Prince Emmanuel had died in 1987 and that he was a distant cousin from ruling Prince Hans Adam II. . . .”
36. “ . . . There also appears to be some links between Asat Trust and a bank owned by the Liechtenstein royal family. Several Asat Trust documents feature on their letterheads ‘Bank in Liechtenstein AG’ beneath ‘Asat Trust.’ The royal family bank has changed its name and is now called LGT bank. A telephone and an e-mail query to the bank’s spokesman Hans-Martin Uehringer went unreturned. . . .”
37. More about Liechtenstein and its money-laundering economy:
“High atop an Alpine ridge sits a prince in a 130-room castle, in a tiny domain that has made a name for itself by hiding people’s money. It has also found a bit more international attention than it would like.”
38. Note the references to Liechtenstein’s role in the CDU funding scandal. (These are the references to the conspiracy involving Kohl, the French oil company and the “decrepit oil refinery.”) For more about the CDU funding scandal, see—among other broadcasts—FTR#’s 193 , 276 , 278 , 506 . In FTR#’s 469 , 476 , we noted the links of John P. Schmitz to various aspects of the 9/11 investigations, as well as his links to the Bush milieu. Schmitz was a beneficiary of the Robert Bosch Foundation Fellowship, a subsidiary program (along with the Alfa Fellowship) of the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft. When working with the Bundestag, Schmitz worked with Mathias Wissman, the former treasurer of the CDU! Later, Wissman went to work for Wilmer Cutler & Pickering, a law firm that also employed Schmitz and that represents key German government-linked corporations in their attempts to move into American markets. (For more about this, see—among other programs—FTR#492 .) Again, with the Asat Trust [Al Taqwa] link to the Liechtenstein Royal Family, as well as the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft/Atta/Alfa/Robert BoschFoundation Fellowship relationship, we may well be looking at a Bormann/Underground Reich network “in the raw.”
“Last year, when German prosecutors investigated millions of dollars of secret donations to former Chancellor Helmut Kohl, the tail led to Liechtenstein, a principality the size of Fort Wayne, Ind. When Swiss investigators looked into millions of dollars of obscure ‘payments’ involving the sale of a decrepit refinery to a French oil company, the money trail also led to Liechtenstein. In 1996, when American agents seized a Swiss launderer of Latin American drug profits, he confessed that he loved to do business in Liechtenstein since its banks never divulged much about its clients.”
39. “The affable 55-year-old Prince Hans Adam II, whose ancestors bought the country from the Austrian crown some three centuries ago, sees his nation of 32,000 people as merely offering banking privacy and low taxes. To him, bank secrecy and wafer-thin tax rates are services the country just like its dairy products and its leading export, dental prosthetics.”
40. “Since many of Europe’s wealthy face income tax rates exceeding 50 percent, Liechtenstein offers a secluded place to squirrel away their fortunes. It also has a top income tax rate of just 18.9 percent. Taxes for holding companies or enterprises with no more than a mailbox here are a mere 1 percent.”
41. “But those kinds of lures have apparently attracted some unsavory elements. Liechtenstein’s headaches began last November, when the German newsmagazine Der Spiegel published what it said were details of a German intelligence report that made accusations against Liechtenstein banks and fiduciaries—specialists in establishing mailbox corporations that are used to mask bank accounts. The enterprises were tied to a Sicilian Mafia group, Latin American drug lords and Russian gangs, the report said.”
42. “The article also asserted that a former Liechtenstein prime minister had assembled a network of banks, government workers and lawyers to help organized crime. Prince Hans Adam, in an interview, accused Germany of seeking to ruin Liechtenstein as a tax haven. To do so, he added, the Germans ‘did not hesitate to commit character assassination on a country and on individual people.’ . . .”
43. Note that the Swiss currency is Liechtenstein’s “coin of the realm”—something that would no doubt facilitate the money laundering infrastructure in that tiny nation.
“ . . . In 1924, after the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire following World War I, Liechtenstein entered a customs union with Switzerland, whose currency is the coin of the realm. . . . It is not lost on Liechtensteiners that while German governments pillory their system, German politicians use it to hide campaign donations. In 1997, a local employee of one influential fiduciary gave Der Spiegel diskettes containing confidential client information. Among Germans stashing money here were not only well-known business people and an Olympic gold medalist, but also officials of Chancellor Kohl’s political party, the Christian Democratic Union. . . .”
44. Liechtenstein protested that their financial system was adequately transparent.
“ . . . Yet when financial inspectors from the Council of Europe visited Liechtenstein in September, they came to very different conclusions. To lift bank secrecy, they found that requests must pass 12 appeal levels. They also found that the office for investigating bank reports of suspicious money has five overworked employees. So to learn where suspicious money comes from, the banks simply ask their clients. ‘The examiners fail to see how ‘tipping off’ in such circumstances can be avoided,’ the inspectors politely concluded in their report.”
45. “Peter Csonka, the team’s secretary, said Liechtenstein had 80,000 trust companies—almost 3 for every citizen—as well as 280 lawyers and 80 trustees, most of whom ‘are in some business where the purpose is not totally clear.’ Financial policing, he said, ‘equals zero.’ . . .”
46. Note the prince’s relative immunity, as well as his inclination to use private auditors to “keep the books” for the kingdom. Note, too, that Arthur Andersen was the auditor that facilitated the Enron rip-off.
“One hurdle to reform, some say, is the growing political dissent between the prince and the government on matters like constitutional reform and law enforcement. The prince, for instance, proposes contracting oversight of the banking system to private auditors, and suggests PricewaterhouseCoopers or Arthur Anderson. ‘I’m a proponent of outsourcing whatever can be done better,’ he said. [Emphasis added.] For his part, Prime Minister Mario Frick wants the deletion of constitutional passages assuring the prince’s immunity. ‘He could steal my car, and I can’t do anything about it,’ Mr. Frick said. The prince recently annoyed politicians by mailing his own proposals for reform to all households and posting them on his Web site: www.fuerstenhaus.li . . . .”