1. The re-emergence of fascist movements in European countries is further developed in this broadcast. The program begins by highlighting a bombing in Rome, allegedly by a veteran of past fascist terror campaigns. (“Bomb Attack Rattles Central Rome, Italians” by Alessandra Stanley [New York Times]; San Francisco Chronicle; 12/23/2000; p. A14.) The suspect, Andrea Insabato, was a member of the fascist group known as Terza Positione (Third Position.) The Third Position is an element of international fascism that tries to combine elements of extreme left-wing philosophy with fascist political sentiments.
2. Further developing the subject of the Third Position, the program sets forth information about Roberto Fiore, an Italian fascist and one of the lynchpins of the Terza Positione. (“Fiore Terror Exposed” by Gerry Gable; Searchlight; 11/2000 [#305}; p. 30.)
3. Fiore has recently been indicted in Italy. (Idem.) Having been protected in Britain by elements of British intelligence, Fiore recently returned to his native land. (Idem.)
4. Fiore’s thugs have recently been agitating on behalf of the Palestinians, despite attempts by Italian fascists in his milieu to form political alliances with the Israeli right. (Idem.)
5. Italy has recently been in an uproar over a visit by Joerg Haider, the so-called “Yuppie Fascist.” (“Haider Irks Italians With Interview” by Ellen Knickmeyer; San Francisco Chronicle; 12/18/2000; p. E4.)
6. Haider was in Italy for an audience with the Pope. Recently, Cardinal Ratzinger and other clerics have been sounding a reactionary note reminiscent of the Vatican’s past cozy association with international fascism. (“Papal Candidate Sparks Racist Fears” by Gerry Gable; Searchlight; 11/2000 [#305}; p. 31.)
7. One of those clerics is Father Gianni Baget Bozzi, the spiritual adviser to Silvio Berlusconi. (Idem.) Berlusconi was formerly Prime Minister of Italy, participating in a coalition government with Fiore associate Gianfranco Fini, the head of the Allianza Nazionale. The AN is the direct successor to Mussolini’s fascist party.
8. Next, the program highlights the brutal killing of a 6‑year old boy by German neo-Nazis. (“A Death in Germany” by Lewis Dolinsky; San Francisco Chronicle; 11/29/2000; p. A16.)
9. Joseph Abdulla (a German of mixed Iraqi-German parentage) was surrounded by about 50 skinheads at a public swimming pool, harrassed (“you foreign pig”), beaten, forced to take a drug, shocked with a stun gun and drowned. (Idem.)
10. More than 200 eyewitnesses remained silent, even declining to report the incident to police. (Idem.)
11. Subsequently, the German authorities have attempted to discredit eyewitnesses, and have denied that the boy’s death was a murder. (“Prosecutors Say Boy Not Slain by Neo-Nazis;” San Francisco Chronicle; 11/30/97; p. C7.)
12. German Nazi elements have been taking their cues from elements of the mainstream German political establishment, which has taken a xenophobic attitude toward foreigners and minorities. (“CDU Demands Foreigners Adopt the German Way of Life;” Germany Alert, germanyalert.com 10/21/2000.)