COMMENT: We thought the timing of “Der Panzerkardinal’s ” resignation was “interesting. ” His resignation followed the release of a damning report about the suppression of priest-molestation scandals and coming as the Vatican Bank is (once again) under investigation for money laundering. This is the same Vatican Bank that was heavily invested in Nazi industry during World War II.  Investigations into Vatican financial scandals have dominated the last two Papacies and are, in turn, inextricably linked with the history of the Vatican’s relationship to fascism .
Now comes the news that Ratzinger/Benedict has named a German lawyer and member of the Knights of Malta to head the troubled Vatican Bank. Furthermore, Ernst von Freyberg is chairman of the executive of Blohm & Voss–a major German munitions maker. Highlighted in the PBS TV series “Reilly: Ace of Spies”, Blohm & Voss is to German warships as Krupp is to German cannon. Needless to say, Blohm & Voss made warships for Hitler. Blohm & Voss made liberal use of Nazi slave labor and engaged in egregious crimes in an effort to cover their tracks .
Up until its sale in December, 2011, Blohm & Voss was a subsidiary of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems . The Thyssen interests have been at the core of the Third Reich’s interests and operations since the early 1920’s and are at the foundation of the Bormann capital network .
A number of thoughts in this regard:
- AFA #18 contains  good discussion of the Vatican Bank scandals of the 1980’s. Deutsche Bank’s Herman Abs was brought in by John Paul II to straighten out that round of IOR scandal. (Abs was Hitler’s most important banker.)
- The Knights of Malta (SMOM)  is the military wing of the Vatican. Nazi General Reinhard Gehlen received its highest award after the war.
- Von Freyberg’s appointment comes as the Vatican Bank is once again being investigated for money laundering .
- The Vatican Bank appears to have been involved with the laundering of money for Pablo Escobar  of the Medellin Cartel.
- Ratzinger/Benedict had previously appointed Ettore Gotti Tedeschi  to head the Vatican Bank. Tedeschi is a member of Opus Dei , a fascist-linked lay order wielding profound influence over the current pope and his predecessor.
- As the investigation into the cover-up of the molestation scandals gained momentum, Ratzinger/Benedict appointed a member of Opus Dei to head the Los Angeles Diocese , focal point of some of the most damning information in those investigations. Again, is the Holy See “keeping the lid on?”
- One of the lawyers involved in handling the molestation scandals was also tabbed to aid the Vatican in lawsuits alleging misappropriation  of the assets of Nazi victims.
- Ratzinger/Benedict’s resignation comes as there is renewed journalistic focus on the evolution of Vatican Incorporated .
“Pope Approves German Lawyer to Head Embattled Bank” [AP]; USA Today; 2/15/2013.  EXCERPT: Pope Benedict XVI has signed off on one of the last major appointments of his papacy, approving a German lawyer to head the Vatican’s embattled bank. Ernst Von Freyberg has solid financial and Catholic credentials as a member of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, an ancient chivalrous order drawn from European nobility.
The appointment ends a nine-month search after the Institute of Religious Works ousted its previous president, Ettore Gotti Tedeschi, for incompetence. The ouster came just as the Vatican was submitting its finances to a review by a Council of Europe committee in a bid to join the list of financially transparent countries. The Vatican said Von Freyberg had been appointed by the bank’s commission of cardinals and that the pope had “expressed his full consent.” . . .
“Ernst von Freyberg: Controversial New Vatican Bank President Appointed By Pope Benedict” by Alessandro Speciale; Huffington Post; 2/15/2013.  EXCERPT: . . . . But von Freyberg’s appointment immediately sparked controversy. The lawyer will remain in his current role of chairman of the executive board of German shipyard Blohm + Voss, which was involved in the production of warships under Nazi Germany. Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi said that the shipyard is currently involved in engineering and ship repair activities, as well as in the production of luxury yachts. But he also acknowledged that Blohm + Voss is “part of a consortium that is building four frigates for the German navy.” . . .
EXCERPT: . . . . From July 1944 to April 1945 Blohm & Voss used inmates of its own concentration subcamp at its shipyard in Hamburg-Steinwerder for slave labour. The camp was a subcamp to the Neuengamme concentration camp.
The Blohm brothers were Nazis, and much of their wartime labour had come from Neuengamme, a site shared with none other than IG Farben.
As the Allies advanced at the end of the war, Germany tried to hide these warcrimes by marching the inmates of the camp further into Germany. It was decided that the best way to bury the evidence, was to load several large ships with the camp inmates, and then sink the ships.
Thousands of Neuengamme camp inmates were loaded onto the SS Thielbeck, and the Blohm & Voss built SS Arcona (a ship large enough to have realistically protrayed the Titanic in a German propaganda movie).
The Germans then sent a disinformation message (knowing the British were listening) pretending the ships were full of Nazi SS men heading for Norway.
On May 3rd 1945, four squadrons of RAF Hawker Typhoon fighter-bombers attacked the Thielbeck and Arcona in Neustadt bay with rockets and bombs. Thielbeck sank in 15 mins, however the Arcona burned for hours.
Many camp inmates managed to escape the two ships, only to drown or be shot by SS guards upon reaching the shore.
Neustadt memorial to the victims says 7000 lives, but is believed to be a major underestimate.
So, slave workers who worked for Blohm & Voss in a Blohm % Voss run camp, were put to death on a Blohm & Voss built ship.